Sun Robotic, a division of rawlemon™ has successfully reinvented the future of Building-Integrated-Photovoltaics (BIPV), combining key components of the concentrated solar power plant into a patent pending facade module called the “MICROTRACK”. The result is a 99% transparent, fully automated PV/thermal solar capture system that can be seamlessly integrated as a facade/glazing system, or as a stand-alone built-in device. Based on zero-emission solar conversion and providing 4 times more efficiency than the current available products for building integration (electric/thermal production, transparency, shading, ventilation, and beauty) rawlemon™ transforms the future of zero-energy buildings.
The competition seeks a platform for this powerful transparent technology, exploring architecture, urbanism, and the ways in which people interact with urban space at the crossroads of the worlds most international cities: London, Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, New York, and Tokyo. Each site allows the participants to critically and creatively explore two sets of issues: (1) the way that architecture can respond to the energy problematics in cities through design and sustainable solutions to reach the stand-alone energy buildings of tomorrow; and (2) the way to finance affordable social spaces on vacant public places in city centers to avoid dead zones and promote urban spontaneity.
Sun Robotics calls for project proposals on the scale of the urban high rise tower which utilize progressive transparent solar concentrating envelope technology from rawlemon™ in pursuit of a new model for high-volume urban solar harvesting and flexible habitation. This six city global competition will result in the selection of up to three projects worldwide, which will be awarded the distinction of top honor and slated for production by a jury of leading figures in architecture, urban planning, engineering, sustainable design, and hospitality. Each winning team will be awarded title, $4000 (all taxes included) and the support of the Sun Robotics, Six Cities REAL-estate Challenge crowdfunding team, to move forward with the realization of their vision of the future of the high rise at the crossroads of the world. Sun Robotics will be working with winning teams, host nations, local municipalities & industries, international crowdfunding organizations, and the support of a global audience to facilitate each final project’s completion.
• Revitalize urban energy through the collective development of vacant/underused spaces in the city center (explore the six cities government property sites).
• Foster design innovation and encourage sustainable solutions by exploring the possibilities of the “MICROTRACK” system and the logic of the technology behind it.
• Demonstrate the deep potential and efficiency of the MICROTRACK system and also its ease of use through application at the high rise scale.
• Define a program tailored to meet with the urban context that produces an affordable economic model for funding social spaces.
• Combine the “MICROTRACK” module, the program, and the architecture to produce first net-zero energy high rise in the world.
===> Get the full Competition Brief (PDF) in the Download section